Sunday, December 13, 2015

SRC - Smoking Bishop

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal I love getting my blog assignment each month and this month I was assigned the blog Culinary Adventures with Camilla, which belongs to Camilla, our lovely leader of group B.   Camilla is a mom of 3 boys, a freelance writer and photographer and cookbook reviewer.  

As this was the December reveal I went straight to the Christmas recipes.  I was happy to see that a few years ago she had made a Dickensian Christmas Eve feast.  I was immediately drawn to the Figgy Pudding until Randal reminded me that at the time I was considering my recipe choice there was 3 weeks until Christmas and neither one of us would probably want to eat figgy pudding that early in the month.  I still really want to make the pudding though, maybe this year will be the year I actually do it!  

I finally decided on Smoking BishopI had never actually heard of it before, but after doing a little research I found out that it is basically a type of mulled wine, infused with roasted citrus fruits and port.  It was popular in Victorian England at Christmas time and it appears in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.  


1 bottle red wine
1/2 bottle water
5 oranges
1 grapefruit
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
handful of cloves (around 20)
5 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise pods
1/2 bottle port

Bake the fruit at 350 for 1 hour.  Add the cloves and set aside.

Simmer the red wine, water, sugar, cinnamon and star anise over low heat for 30 minutes.  Take off the heat, add the roasted fruit, cover and leave over night at room temperature.  

The next day remove and juice the fruit.  Add in the juice and port and heat on low.


Pin It

8 comments:

Kate said...

Cheers! I have to try this recipe. The Smoking Bishop is a new drink to me, but, I do love hot wine so I'm sure I will love it!!! Great selection for SRC.

Tracy | Pale Yellow said...

Love winter cocktails! This one looks great and is easy to make ahead of time. I can't imagine how good your house smells after making this!

Stephanie said...

I've never heard of this drink, but adding port to mulled wine sounds like a fantastic idea. Just popping in from group C to say great SRC post!

Camilla M. Mann said...

Thanks for picking this recipe! I had completely forgotten about it. And it's perfect for this month. Cheers!

Linda @ 2 Cookin' Mamas said...

I am so making this for Christmas! I have never tried a mulled wine but it looks like the perfect drink to have sitting beside the fireplace (luckily I'll be north this holiday so I can actually do that!). Great recipe choice for this time of year!

Cookaholic Wife said...

I've never heard of this either but it looks tasty. I think I might make some for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Perfect for this time of year! Great choice! I had fun cooking from your blog this month! :)

Julie said...

What a perfect holiday cocktail. Visiting from SRC B!